Unknown On Sep 4, 2010

Sam Donovan

Parsons freshman
Newton/Ashland, Massachusetts
19 years old

“Fashion is clothing to me. When I think fashion, I think cut, volume, fit, color, line, and texture; I do not find it to be an art to experiment with the human form--I prefer to stylize rather than idealize. I am interested in how to clothe the human form (particularly the female form) in a way that adds visual interest, but not so much that it detracts from flattering the wearer. I believe the greatest accomplishment a designer can achieve is that some want to, and then be able to wear his or her designs with as few flaws as possible.

Samuel’s collection: My collection is beautiful, classic clothes that any woman should feel good about wearing anywhere. I tried to make each garment fresh and new, while still remembering that most women want clothes that don't look like craft projects. I designed a lot of casual but glamorous day-wear looks for a multitude of situations so that the clothes can be worn over and over again, without looking like repeats. Again, this collection is much more about the idea of style, than how to style an idea.

What excites you most about Fusion? I am most excited to be making clothes my freshman year at Parsons! Having taught myself the basics of draping, pattern making, and sewing, it was a bit frustrating to learn that I would not actually be doing anything specifically focused on clothing until my sophomore year. So I mostly just excited for the opportunity to have the chance to start this early, doing what I came to Parsons to do: be a fashion designer.

Leave a Reply

Search my site

Followers

Archives

Categories